Ric Flair on Paul Wight leaving WWE for AEW: “I didn’t see it coming…”
In appearing on a recent episode of Busted Open Radio, WWE Hall of Famer Ric Flair provided his thoughts on “The Big Show” Paul Wight leaving WWE and signing with AEW.
Flair said the following during the interview:
“I didn’t see it coming, and I’m sure they [AEW] must have made him a spectacular deal over there.” Flair then said he wished that Wight would have stayed with WWE. However, at the same time, he has earned his respect, and he believes that he (Wight) has earned the respect of everybody and should be able to make whatever choice he wants.
Flair then went on to say he and Wight had hung out together during last month’s Monday Night Raw Legends night and Wight didn’t mention any word to him about possibly leaving WWE, and wished him well, and they would remain friends no matter where he is and what he does.
AEW announced this Wednesday Wight has signed a long-term deal with the company to serve both as a color commentator and in-ring talent. AEW also announced on this past week’s episode of AEW Dynamite that Wight will make his AEW Dynamite debut on next week’s live show.
It was also noted by announcer Tony Schiavone that Wight will speak on next week’s show.
Wight and Schiavone will be the announce team for the new AEW Dark: Elevation show which will premiere on YouTube Monday, March 15 at 7:00 pm ET.
The 49-year old Wight spent 22 years in WWE. He initially signed a 10-year contract with WWE after his WCW contract expired on his 27th birthday on February 8, 1999.
— SiriusXM Busted Open (@BustedOpenRadio) February 26, 2021