Lio Rush reportedly under NJPW deal, needed approval to appear for AEW
According to reports by F4WOnline and PWInsider, former WWE Cruiserweight Champion Lio Rush, who made a surprise appearance at AEW’s Double or Nothing PPV is currently under contract with New Japan Pro Wrestling.
Both reports also indicate that Rush signed with NJPW back in April and needed approval from NJPW to appear for AEW and their Double or Nothing pay-per-view.
It is unknown if Rush will appear again for AEW in the future. At the Double or Nothing PPV post-event scrum, AEW CEO and President Tony Khan said he and Rush have worked out a handshake deal where he can work in both AEW and NJPW. Khan said that he wanted to bring Rush in last year for an event, but Rush was all ready obligated with filming MTV’s The Challenge at the time.
Rush made his debut for NJPW at their New Japan Strong event this past January. He also was part of the Major League Wrestling post-COVID-19 reboot, winning and then losing the Middleweight title to Myron Reed and defeating Laredo Kid for the AAA Cruiserweight Title.
It is also being said that it is unknown what It’s unknown what his MLW status is. MLW is set to have a new set of television tapings at 2300 Arena July 10 in Philadelphia, PA.